Sasebone

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

The last Musketeer

D'Artagnan

Batman; Superman; Ninja Turtles (all of them); cowboys; Indians; ghosts; goblins; we have had them all visit us at one time or another. They all come up with the name of Micah. He is so dramatic when he becomes a character. He finds out all he can about these characters and I truly believe we are the luckiest people around to get visited by them all!

Yesterday D’Artagnan came to be with us all day. He showed up with a Cameroon flag draped to his back as a cape and a sword strapped to his side. He was valiant appearing but needed one more thing! A hat! “Where is my Zorro hat Pawpaw?” Pawpaw looks around and says, “I think I threw it away ages ago”! Oh no! I see the look of great expectation dampen a bit as though hearing some devastating news. I know he rode over this morning fully expecting to find this hat we’ve hung on to for years. I feel the disappointment so I begin to dig through the toys and on the bottom is this crushed looking hat. I pull it out, dust it off by slapping it against my leg and hand it to a smiling D’Artagnan. He straightens out the brim and places it on his head; looks in the mirror and says, “It needs feathers!”

I think! I think! “Micah, where will we find feathers?” How about the lake? I don’t want to get ready and drive to the lake. I say, “Perhaps Pawpaw will take you later or you could look under the trees out front in the event a bird has a lost a few.” Micah starts through the house and turns and looks at me grinning from ear to ear. He has found his feathers! We pluck a couple from the feather duster and put them in the hat. I say Si Si Senor’ we have found our feathers. He says, “I am D’Artagnan who speaks French, not Spanish” and out come some words that clearly appears to be French. Now, more imagination comes forth. The sword needs some work! He makes a protective slip for it with a funnel and slips it on the sword. He imagines fighting the enemy and I feel protected all day from them. Every time I look around I am learning more about this Musketeer (history). We go to Wikipedia and learn even more. His brother shoots him a few inquiring looks when he comes in and goes about his business helping Pawpaw with the mower; the boat, etc. This does not sway D’Artagnan who has his eyes on protecting his kingdoms and clearly has more important business than the mundane.

At 6:00 p.m. D’Artagnan got on his horse and galloped away… Come back D’Artagnan or surprise me with a new character next time. I must protect all the props from the garbage collectors and Pawpaw!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home