Sasebone

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Fishing anyone?

I met a guy in Texas back in 1960. I married him, but here 45 years later I wonder what we had in common. It wasn't fishing for sure. He loved it. In fact he would take me home after a date and head for the lake to fish. If he wasn't fishing he was thinking about fishing. He ate, drank, thought, dreamed, about fishing.

So, he asked me to go with him on a date. He wanted to be with me often then and get to do his favorite past time as well. I loaded up cokes; a book; my portable radio and some snacks and off we went. Me. 16 years old and him, 22 years old. He showed me how to put the bait on my hook. What? Me, touch those nasty worms and then poke a hook through its slimy skin - - no thanks!!!!!

He was putting the worm on my hook and I pulled on the fishing pole and at the other end of the pole was a curse word or two. I had hooked Chick's thumb and not the worm. UMMM! I have got to work on that. I turned on the music and all the old fishermen around began to grumble that is was too loud for fishing. They began to pack up and move on down the lake. Do fish have ears? I think not!

Well, that fishing trip wasn't what I would call a success so the next fishing trip we were with our friends Bobby and Charlsie in their boat. By then we were married. Chick had just sprung for a new rod and it cost a whopping $6.39. 10 percent of his salary at that time. We were in the boat enjoying just skimming the water; a nice summer day; no kids - -just the 4 of us on Lake Texoma. My rod started pulling forward and they were screaming, "Reel it in, you've got a BIG fish". I pulled and pulled (thought the end of the rod would go right through my gut), but I was anticipating a humongous catch. SUDDENLY....SUDDENLY...ker plop--the whole end of the rod disappeared. I apparently caught a log that got away! Chick turned pale and again, curse words flew from that mouth, and I think I saw a tear slide down his face. Bobby and Charlsie were laughing so hard they had fallen backwards in the boat holding their tummies. Me, I was thinking about Divorce Court.

I think I tried fishing one more time and I cast before I got the line over the lake and hooked a tree limb over Chick's head. He never asked me to go again! I'm sure glad he doesn't like to hunt.

1 Comments:

  • Scott asked me to play tennis with him before we were married. One of his friends met us at the courts. Scott was so excited to teach me to play tennis that he bought me shoes & a new tennis racket. Well, it didn't take him long to see why I was in choir, not athletics in school. AFter a while, he gave up & played a real game with his friend. They made me run after the balls. He never forgot that and so he never asks me to come along when he plays golf.

    We find other things to do together for fun like washing the car or going to the book store. Whatever works!

    By Blogger Dana, at 11:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home