Sasebone

Saturday, December 29, 2007

Molly - - Part two

Well, after having a dog for a while and deciding to keep the little schnauzer I learned who was boss. I changed her schedule. I now had her on a different one from the one she came with. This might work! I took the collar from around my neck and took the leash away from her and put the lead in my hand. Now we’re talking!

She was reasonably low maintenance. She still sleeps on the couch when she wants and looks at me with those big expressive eyes when she is just about to bust! She still gets up once during the night, but only once and I don’t have to go out with her.

A BIG problem with schnauzers' is that they are not too nice to company. They jump up, sniff and bark and bark and bark some more. Then when the guest sits down on the couch our dog Molly gets up against them and expects them to rub and pet her. She thinks they came to see her. I’ve discovered not everyone likes animals or if they like cats they don’t like dogs. They look a little uncomfortable and then reach out and pet softly, but you can tell they would rather Molly would go away, but why would she when she thinks they are there to see her?

Molly likes to go outside and run loose, but with a leash law in effect and no fence I can’t let that happen. Once in a while I sit outside and drink my coffee and let her roam the front part of our acre where she looks through the neighbors’ fence and aggravates their dogs then scratches the ground with her back legs and plunks dry grass at the dogs eyes who are pinned up as if to say, “Dumb Dogs, I’m free and you’re not”.

When It’s time to go inside she comes and she’s ready to get back in with the humans; however sometimes she ducks her head and takes off across the field to the neighbors for even more freedom. I have to chase her. If I don’t notice she’s gone she always comes back. Just needs to wet the neighbors’ fields and poop in them.

Molly laughs and plays and gives comfort to two little boys when they need her; she comforts a sick Pawpaw; and a Memaw who sometimes gets overwhelmed by life. Molly inherently knows when to just lie up against you and look up at you with her big brown eyes with the Groucho Marx eyebrows as if to say, “I’m here for you”. She is different from all the other dogs we ever had. When we moved to this house we brought our mixed breed Irish Setter named Sally. She’s another story. We loved her. Then when she went to live in Doggie Heaven along came Buttons right behind her. She was a Golden Retriever mix - - another delightful dog who even jumped on the trampoline with or without the kids. She had soulful eyes. She moved out when we got the boys. She tolerated one, but when another one came to live with us she said, “I’ve had it”. She trotted off to another home. We got her back and she left 2 more times, so wherever she is we hope she is happy.

In life you discover things made of sticks and stones, mortar and wood are not nearly as important as things with a heart. Things with a heart are more trouble than a beautiful couch or chair, but give us so much more than a piece of inertia. They breathe with us; they run with us; they get quiet with us and rejoice when we rejoice; they are loyal; they love; good pets are worry stones with personalty and expression! Am I saying this? Am I? Should I? EVERYONE SHOULD HAVE A WARM BLOODED ANIMAL TO LOVE AND BE LOVED BY. There I said it, now I must go wash my mouth out with soap.

Oh, I forgot to mention the most wonderful, amazing cat ever, who lived with us for 14 years! That’s another story!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home