Sasebone

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Easter without kids


This Easter was a mess. Should we plan a family dinner? Should we go out? Should we slink under the covers and pretend it's just another day? Now, don't get me wrong. I know what the Holiday is all about, but this year is different. We did not have our little ones here to rise up early and look about and move to the end of their bed and find what the Easter Bunny brought, while Memaw is in the background filming their every move.

We decided to, first of all, rise from the bed and we rushed into the living room - - no Easter baskets for the kids. Well, I take that back, there were 2 on the table Pawpaw picked up for the boys when they do come. Our dog Molly, didn't look interested in motorcycles and a dab of candy (no chocolate this time). We sat down in our recliners and stared into space. Ummmmm! What now? I wasn't having to hurry and get a ham in the oven! I wasn't rushing around wiping up spills and mopping the floor, tidying up for company! Ooooooooohhhhhhh, this was going to be a long day and not as much fun as we thought.

Okay, I poured my 3rd cup of coffee and got into Sunday Morning. Cute! More stories about Peeps - - every year something new happens with Peeps! This year it is an art contest and amazing what people will pour their time into. Interesting though! Molly lay on the floor with her eyes twirling and her eyes shifted up at me. She wanted something, but what?

A thought! Here is my kid this year. I walked to the kitchen pantry and pulled out her box of training treats she loves. While she was sleeping I hid the treats in Pawpaw's crocks; at the back of my recliner; in a hat; under the rocker; under a pillow and then we called her. Her nose began to move around - - she was definately sniffing. I continued my coffee and watched. She would sniff, hit the air and find! When she couldn't find a treat she would turn and look at us and we would point in the general vicinity and her little fat body (me and that dog have got to walk) in that direction and off she went with her sniffer and sure enough, she made her last find. For 30 minutes she continued to look - - no more eggs (oops, I mean treats) to reveal. Sooo, after she lay on the floor and rolled her eyes at us she knew we needed more entertainment so she ran to the pile of kids toys and pulled out her bunny (her old Easter Bunny the kids gave her) and we played tug of war and "Go get the Bunny". That wore her out and us. We lay back in our chairs and watched the rest of Sunday Morning. It is going to be a long day....

1 Comments:

  • Wasn't it fun playing with the dog instead of having to clean, cook, clean again, and worry about the drama that seems to follow every time our family gets together these days?

    By Blogger Angie, at 9:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home