Sasebone

Friday, December 21, 2007

Our Dog Molly -- Part One

Our dog Molly keeps us entertained. When we first got her she was nervous; we had 2 little boys who did not know how to treat a dog. All they ever had was a stuffed bunny; so Molly was in for a transition.

Before us; she lived with her pal, Sam, a dachshund, and a young couple. Sam and Molly were their babies until the young couple had their own child. Unfortunately their baby was ill and they didn’t have time for the dogs between the hospital and home so she advertized the dogs on the district’s email. I wanted Sam, but Sam was spoken for already so I took Molly after seeing her picture and talking with the teacher who had her. I was told Molly was low maintenance; trained, all shots - - what a deal! I told her I would have to talk to my husband, but by evening I was traveling home with a dog for my boys.

Chick loves dogs and the boys were ecstatic; a few weeks before (read my blog Dog for a Day in archives) they had expressed their eagerness for a real live dog. Okay, Molly didn’t bite them; she looked at them and then politely ignored us all. I brought her toy ball (she wouldn’t play). I brought her dog collar; her special food; her carefully written out schedule which goes as follows: ½ a cup of Eukanuba dog food twice a day; poop at 5 a.m.; walk; poop at 8 a.m. walk; out at noon; again at 5 p.m. again at 8 a.m. and once more at 11 p.m. - - all this from her original Master. First of all: I don’t walk! Second of all: that schedule was more difficult than the boys’ schedule. Okay, I’ll try.

Night One: I fed her ½ a cup of Eukanuba. I went out at 8 p.m. and let her mill around the acre with me on the end of the leash. Finally she smells, she barks; she walks and drags me back and forth, back and forth and then poop! We go to bed; the dog vomits; Chick hollers; I clean up the mess. We go to bed, the dog poops behind Chick’s chair. I clean up her mess. I’m thinking transition – patience and all that good rot! Same night: Molly comes to my bedside at 3 a.m.; sniffs at me, runs for the door. I grab the leash and follow. I’m walking a dog in my gown; looking at the moon; nice night out….

This goes on for a week. I’m working; caring for boys; and now I’ve added a dog THAT won’t do what her previous master said she would do. I write the previous Master who tells me the dog is going through a transition and normally is low maintenance.

I will keep trying! The next day and for a month afterwards this goes on. She pays no attention to the boys, by now they have claimed her. A week later I am walking the dog at 3 a.m. looking at the moon and wondering about rainy nights; winter nights; nights when I don’t feel like walking. Also, I’m realizing the dog has now trained me! WHO HAS THE COLLAR ON?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home