Sasebone

Sunday, November 05, 2006

Oh no, my dog ate chocolate!

The list I received from the former master of our dog Molly, listed onions and chocolate as being poison to dogs. Okay, so when would a dog get the opportunity to eat onions and I’m thinking “What dog would be stupid enough to desire something poison”? So, I’m about to find out.

The boys and I came home from the store and Chick greeted us with, “Guess we’re about to find out if chocolate poisons dogs”! I said, “Why”? Molly, our dog, was curious and got into the Halloween bags and ate a couple of snickers bars. She was smiling at me like she really enjoyed it, and I’m thinking this dog is ill!!!!! I thought and thought, “What can I do? It’s late. I can’t get in touch with a veterinarian at this hour.” I go to the Internet and pull up Ask.com. Not much help, but then I didn’t ask the right question so I ask it in a more comprehensive sentence (Will my dog die from eating chocolate) and up comes several answers about dogs eating chocolate.

One guy states his grandmother gave her doggy a chocolate bar as a treat every day and the dog lived to be 15 years old and didn’t die from eating chocolate - - it died from being hit by a car. Another person states their dog S _ _ t its brains out, and yet another stated the dog ate all the brownies and did get sick, but only for a night…diarrhea! I watched the dog, she was smiling. She was sniffing around for more Halloween candy. She was going to die happy!

So, I stared at her most of the night. It’s not enough I have two little boys to care for, now we have a dog too, and the boys are asking for another dog to keep Molly company when we’re not here. Oh deliver me! Anyway, Molly lays there on my bed at 10:00 p.m. and looks at me. She’s thinking, “Why am I so popular all of a sudden?” Finally at 11:00 p.m. I feel comfortable enough to go to sleep. I look up when I feel whiskers, and they’re not my husband’s whiskers. They are Molly whiskers and she’s looking me eyeball to eyeball - - I say “Lay down Molly, I’m sleepy”. She won’t, she shoves her face into mine and looks at me with this stern look. I remember! She ATE CHOCOLATE!!!! She is about to S _ _t her brains out! My feet hit the floor running and her in front of me galloping to the door. I hook her up to her leash and she flies out and squats. The chocolate crisis is over…for now!

2 Comments:

  • Poor Molly! I'm glad she didn't **** her brains out on your new carpet!

    I've read several things about dogs and chocolate. It seems to have alot to do with their weight. A big dog like mine can have chocolate once in awhile and it doesn't bother him. It's best not to give small dogs chocolate. Now Molly on the other hand, is a small dog with a big pot belly, so I think it would take more than 2 Snickers bars to do her in.

    Love,
    Angie

    By Blogger Angie, at 9:27 AM  

  • You just crack me up! I see Semi-Retirement is entertaining you. i miss having dogs. Its been 20+ years.

    By Blogger ChadDunk, at 4:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home