Sasebone

Monday, July 23, 2007

Things aren’t always what they seem…

Back in 1977 or so (you know how memories fade) I remember my dear neighbors Helen and Paul and an incident that occurred while we lived on their street. We were pretty good friends and our little girls played together every day.

I was driving by her house on my way home and glanced that way as I sometimes did out of habit - -in the event she was in the yard so I could wave to her as we went by - - a common neighborly habit. Gasp -- I did a double glance! There was a wreath hanging on her front door. OMG!!!!! Did I see what I thought I saw? I drove around the block again to take a look. Sure enough! There was a wreath on her door!

Suddenly I felt a catch in my throat and a heaviness in my stomach. I was upset for her and her family,I wondered who died. I called a neighbor and asked if she had heard anything from Helen. She said, “She was out riding her bike this morning”. I said to the neighbor, “Did anyone die in their family? She said, “Not that I know of, why?” Now I was confused for sure. I said, “I saw a wreath hanging on her door!” Oh that, it’s a new thing - - now it’s décor for the home. This was the first I had heard or known about a wreath hanging on the front door of your home being decor!!!!!! Always before when you saw a wreath hung on the door, the purpose was to notify solicitors, neighbors, friends and family that someone in that home had died. It was a symbol of respect - - now it was a symbol of welcome to the living!!! Funeral homes no longer provide this service - - I guess it is too confusing!

Soon after that change I noticed beauty salons advertising fake nails for $30.00 a pop (since then it has probably gone up). To me that was part of Halloween witches attire and I thought no one would ever pay to put on fake nails. That will be a bust! Ha Ha Hee Hee!

Next I saw water sold in bottles and I laughed. I thought out loud - - this was the craziest idea ever because water is free from the tap. Get a grip people! Who in their right mind would buy water in a bottle; fingernails that weren’t theirs and wreaths for the door? What a business blunder! Now as I sit here with a wreath on my door and drinking my bottled, clear, spring water I wish I had thought of that!

1 Comments:

  • Why DIDN'T you think of them first, then we'd be rich and be able to buy our Bling H20 water at 50.00 a bottle without batting a fake eyelash, LOL!

    By Blogger Angie, at 6:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home