Sasebone

Saturday, August 11, 2007

Happy Birthday Elmer


Today we celebrated my husband's brother, Elmer's birthday. I didn't realize how close to my father's age he is. We celebrated my dad's 83rd birthday in July. Elmer was 80 years old on the 9th. I am hoping we all get to celebrate his birthday again in 10 years. My husband's remembrance of his brother is that he worked hard as a young lad; he probably broke a lot of hearts during his early years. He was a handsome young man who looked like a movie star! He was in the service as a military policeman. I realized I really don't know that much about Elmer, perhaps I'll find out more as time goes by.

I stopped by Partyland today to buy balloons or some wind up choppers - - something funny for his birthday celebration, but the oldest age they had on balloons was 60. Not one thing said 80. It all stopped at 60. I'm older than that! The store personnel said their order for older folks did not come in. The shop did not have cards or anything fun. I started to get him some ribbons with different sayings for kids, but then I decided growing old is not funny, it is serious business and once you pass a certain age it takes loads of maintenance to stay on this planet earth. We had a good turn-out and good food. Susie and Michael planned it well. Michael cooked the best tasting briskets and a huge pot of beans. We all brought side dishes and the cake had 3 different pictures at different stages of Elmer's life. The pictures Susie placed on the bulletin board spoke of a fun loving lad and later in the pictures appeared a romantic couple, Elmer with his beautiful wife Ruth on his arm, both smiling like the world was theirs. Later, wonderful children entered the picture, then grandchildren. The natural progression of this thing called Love!

With a tug at my heart I looked up and saw the six remaining brothers and sisters getting pictures made. I realized they are the last of the Templin brothers and sisters: Elmer, Jeri, Hub, Pat, John and Peggy. Take good care Templins' and give us many more happy reasons to gather together.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home