Sasebone

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Hounded by the past!

Sometimes people are haunted or hounded, so to speak, by the memory of what could have been; what has been; what if's, and the like. Memories are good if not lingered in or swam in as a stagnant pond you can't seem to crawl out of. I have used the memory of the ocean when I am having something painful done procedurally - - it calms me. I have used the memories of my grandparents when I need to feel loved and nurtured; I have used the memory of a young girl full of life and love, still slim when I feel fat and old; I have used the memory of shenanigans by a young girl when I need a laugh; I have used the memory of fear when I want to get a point across to my grandchildren to keep them safe; I have used loads of memories and thank God I still can remember.

Some memories need to be put away forever. They are not helpful. They keep us crushed like a boulder hinging us to the concrete. It keeps us from moving forward; makes us sad; pulls our wings of flight from our very being. I have seen people so pent up with memories of people they have lost; money gone; beautiful cars, homes and wonderful jobs - -disappeared! WE can't move forward, only feel pinned down. This morning John Walton Sr. on The Waltons said it best. He said to put the memories in a shoebox and stash them away and live in the Now. What good advice that is. A counselor works for months and years to give advice to the divorced; the bereaved; the lost and here it is on The Waltons - - LIVE IN THE NOW! Wow!

1 Comments:

  • You are so wonderful Sandy! and so right! We can't let the past weigh us down. Just savor the good memories.
    Denise

    By Blogger Unknown, at 4:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home