Sasebone

Saturday, January 06, 2007

Sail Phone

Two years ago my husband (who is the brunt of lots of my humor, like Fang was for Phyllis Diller) went fishing with Jerry, my cousin’s husband, at Lake Lavon. He was recovering from surgery so I wanted to check on him after I realized he was out more than 5 hours, so I decided to call his cell phone. No answer! This is not unusual for him because he is not cell phone savvy and leaves it off most of the time unless he wants to call someone. I tried to figure out how I could contact him when suddenly a light bulb went off - - I could get Jerry’s cell phone number from my cousin Joyce, Jerry’s wife-- what a novel idea. I called her and she gave me Jerry’s number. I checked with her to see if he answers his phone when someone calls or leaves it off. She said he actually does answer his phone. We hung up after shooting the breeze and catching up on family news, and I called the number.

Jerry answered. I asked him how Chick was doing and Jerry said, “He’s fine. Do you want to talk to him and I said, “Yes, tell him I will call his phone if he will turn it on”. I didn’t want to use up Jerry’s phone minutes. Jerry said, “No, he can talk on mine, just a minute”. I heard him say, “Here Cuz” as he handed Chick the phone. Chick answered sounding light hearted and giddy - - the fish were biting! Apparently all was well and he planned to fish until dark. I said, “Great, see you about dark thirty” and we hung up.

Apparently, right after the end of our conversation Chick got a bite, the bobber went under; the fishing pole started to bend with the catch when all of a sudden it hits the hand he is holding the cell phone in and ‘ping’ it flies about 6 foot through the air and glug, glug, glug. Jerry missed the whole thing as he was turned in another direction. Chick had to tell him his sail phone just went about 18 feet deep… End of a good time, but years of good story telling and it’s not about the fish that got away – it’s about the sail phone!

2 Comments:

  • And that was the last time poor ole Jerry asked him to go along on a fishing trip, LOL!

    :)
    Angie

    By Blogger Angie, at 3:11 PM  

  • Well, it will dry out in about a week as long as they take it apart and hang it upside down - if they can find it.:(

    By Blogger ChadDunk, at 7:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home