Sasebone

Thursday, May 04, 2006

Retirement

Monday, May 1, 2006

I’m up! It’s 5:00 a.m. - - something feels not quite right. I am checking the weather to see what I should wear, but hey, wait; I don’t have to wear anything today. I’m, I’m, I’m (I can’t say it) reeeeeeeetiiiiiirrrrrrreeeeddddddd! Huh, could it be so? How could that be? I remember not long ago wondering if I should order a new ashtray for my desk and struggling with my mini skirt as I twirled around in my desk chair to run down to the courthouse to get our supplies for the office. What happened? It’s a time capsule…

Later, still youthful, I was wearing my navy pilgrim shoes with the big buckles and the block heels along with a navy blue jacket and gray slacks (still a size 10) and feeling very proud I no longer needed an ashtray at my desk because I kicked the habit. I was now ordering supplies from the office supply and not having to run to the courthouse to get our supplies. We were really moving up.

Years passed! The styles changed, now we were wearing creased denim jeans and sports jackets with our high heels. I was cute! We had extra starch put in those jeans, but boy did they chaff the inner thighs by the end of the day. Retirement - - who needs it. I’m young and have miles to go before I sleep (retire).

100 pounds later and now wearing a muu muu style dress (but a good fabric) and still dressy, I was wearing wedge heels and thinking about a new job. This old job was 22.5 years at the same job and watching the place dismantle and fall to pieces. We won’t even talk about the employment before that or this would be a long novel - - 10 years at the Penny Saver, and 1 year at the Baptist Church where I mimeographed the church bulletins, wiped noses and butts for the daycare, collected fees for daycare; made deposits for the church and the daycare; took kids to Kindergarten twice a day; played nurse when a scrape occurred, cooked when the regular cook was out, took care of the nursery when the workers were out. You name it - - I did it and was proud to be a multi-tasker. However, I was losing my religion so I had to move on. Working for Collin County Mental Health Mental Retardation taught me lots of things. It taught me everyone has issues of some type.

Well, off to Unicare (a change in jobs) in my jeans, capris, and sandals or Nikes, this was a job where you could look as good as you wanted or do nothing at all because all the customers were on the phone. They could care less what you looked like. They wanted help! They wanted good customer service, and the boss wanted numbers. This was assembly line on the phone, so 7 months of that and I was ready to go once again. Now I began to think about age and retirement, but still, it seemed WAY DOWN THE ROAD! I was fortunate enough to obtain a position with PISD and figured I would be good there until I got old and then retired, but ah oh! Six years down the road, many pounds and wrinkles later --screech!!!!!
IT HAPPENED! RETIREMENT! IT HURTS! IT FEELS FUNNY! IT TAKES GETTING USED TO! I’LL WRITE MORE LATER. I DON’T KNOW IF I LIKE IT. MY SCHEDULE IS OFF! I MISS MY OFFICE BUDS! MORE TO COME….

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home